Friday, November 7, 2008

A Day to Remember


The other night friends of our stopped over for a bit. I was talking to their five-year-old daughter, Katie, and stopped to check out the scar on her forehead, which is from a library injury, believe it or not. I noticed the scar has faded a lot and told Katie "that was a day I will probably always remember!" Trey was there when I said it to her, but didn't say anything at the time.

The next day the boys and I were enjoying a perfect day of Indian summer. We were playing tag outside, then jumping on the trampoline. Hot and tired, we lay down together on the trampoline to look at the sky. Trey told me to roll over and when I did he started gently scratching my back and Roman copied him. Trey asks me to scratch his back all the time, he loves it, so to him this is something he recognizes as totally special and loving. After a minute they stopped and we still lay there, enjoying the day. Trey asked me "Mommy, is this a day you will always remember?" Happy tears came to my eyes and I assured him it definitely was.

Trey, I will forever remember that beautiful fall day and the sweet way you showed me your love...


6 comments:

Dan and Alenna said...

That is SO sweet! Didn't Trey used to get mad at you when you'd pat his back instead of rub it when he was a baby? Maybe I'm getting the details of that mixed up somehow, but I'm vaguely remembering something along those lines.

Carla said...

I had forgotten about that, but you're right - kind of. He didn't want it rubbed, he wanted it patted... too funny!

Martha said...

Aren't kids great? They say the sweetest things sometimes. Too bad we forget so many. Good idea to write them down, it helps us remember.

Alvana said...

What a sweet boy!

Unknown said...

Thanks I really needed to cry this morning.

Unknown said...

makes supper and is sensitive and a thinker- does it get any better than that. great job mom and dad. enjoy the fruits of your labor! p.s thanks for the tears.