Saturday, July 21, 2007

Friday's Drama

Yesterday morning my good friend Ann-Morgan and I met at a local library to take our kids to an event there. We had my two boys and her two girls (roughly the same ages as mine) and also Kevin, the son of a mutual friend of ours was with Ann-Morgan (AMK). He's close in age to Trey and AMK's oldest, Katie, who turns four next week. The kids were excited to go in and we helped them form a chain between us, holding hands to keep them all together. They were happy and running together. We went through the outer doors and as we approached the inner doors Katie fell. Since the boys were holding her hands she couldn't break her fall, so her head hit. We're not sure exactly what it hit, both Ann-Morgan and I were right behind them and thought she probably just had a little bump. Unfortunately that was not the case. I took Paige, AMK's younger daughter, so she could tend to Katie. A moment later I looked at Katie to see how she looked and both she and AMK had blood running all over them. I couldn't believe it, I did NOT expect to see blood, especially that much. Ann-Morgan was (understandably) a little flustered and not sure what to do, except to call her husband Justin, who is a pediatrician. But Katie's bangs were plastered to her forehead with blood, so we couldn't even see how bad it was and decide was to do. I reached up to lift her hair away and instantly my stomach turned. There was a nasty open gash on her forehead. I knew immediately that she needed stitches for it. Ann-Morgan decided to take her to their doctor's office, which was right down the street. I kept the other four and went in to the program while they left, but they were back soon. AMK said the doctor took one look at it and said it was too big to handle there, she would have to go to Childrens' hospital ER for stitches. By God's detailed plan Ann-Morgan and Cheryl, Kevin's mom, arrived back at the library at the same time - a good thing since I didn't have room in my car for all those kids! Cheryl ended up taking Paige home with her since AMK would be going past her house on the way home from the hospital and it would be easy to pick her up. It all ended well, Katie is feeling much better nine stitches later and even had her birthday party this afternoon. I must say though that I NEVER expected someone to need stitches after a trip to the library!

No comments: