Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hedge Apples

Have you ever heard of such a thing? I hadn't! I was at my friend Nicole's house last week and she had these cool knobby green things in her centerpiece that were so neat. I asked her what they were, she said they were hedge apples and they they grow wild in the woods, her boys pick them up for her. I was fascinated!

Then yesterday I was driving in a country-type area and found a road lined with the trees and the ground covered in hedge apples! I pulled over and picked up a dozen or so of them. They're big, like softballs, and heavy. These were frozen solid, so they didn't have any smell until today when they finally thawed out. They smell citrusy and I love it.

I pulled out my Booma's (grandmother's) punch bowl (also a suggestion of Nicole's) and piled them in it. It is a big, cool centerpiece. I think it'll be
perfect for Thanksgiving!

Check it out:

2 comments:

Martha said...

I have never heard of hedge apples either. I'll have to keep my eyes open next time we go out for a walk in the woods. After hunting season, of course.

Anonymous said...

How funny! I went to Nicci's on Thursday night and saw the same apples in your picture. I was like, do you know Carla B. because she has the exact same thing on her table and said that she got the idea from a friend named Nicole. Small world, well not really.:)