Monday, March 16, 2009

Dinner with Strangers

Yesterday we had some strangers over for dinner. This is not something we normally do, but it was a really great experience...

Jeff got called in to work yesterday morning, so I headed to church with the boys. I did my normal thing - getting the boys into their classes and checking with the Sign-in Desk staff (I help manage things in this department - we have computerized workstations for checking children in to our Kids Life programs) to see if things were going okay and if they needed anything. While I was at the station a new family came to check in their children. I started talking to the kids while another volunteer was entering the family into the system. The kids were sweet and friendly, two girls the same ages as my boys and a boy two years older. Once they were checked in I walked with the family to show them the classrooms each of their kids would be in and explain the sign out process after the service. Once the kids were settled I talked to the parents for a couple more minutes and found out that they live out of an RV and travel! His job keeps him on the road something like four out of five weeks - without going home. So they decided to do it as a family so they can be together. The mom home schools the kids. They try to visit a church where ever they are, and often return to the same churches if they're in an area again, or for a more extended period. What a different lifestyle!

Once I sat down in the service God kind of whispered in my ear that they probably get lonely and the kids probably don't get very many play dates and visits to friends' houses. I had to step out of the service for something else, so while I was out I called Jeff and told him I wanted to do something crazy. He agreed to it, and I invited them over for dinner. They gladly accepted and came over later. We had a great time getting to know them. The kids loved playing together and acted as though they've known each other forever. P&L (the parents) told us that God provides for them all the things they need - including friendships! I have not been the first person they've met who has felt led to invite them over, and when it happens they thank God for supplying fellowship.

They stayed til after bedtime, then headed "home" - to their RV at an RV park. They left town this morning, but we exchanged information and hopefully will hear from them when they're back in the area. :)

2 comments:

KEI said...

That's awesome!

Unknown said...

I am so spiritually proud of you, you were sensitive to the holy spirit, you were a blessing and you were blessed, God is awesome!