Monday, October 12, 2009

Why didn't I think of this before?

Each fall I want to make lots of apple pies. We all love them, especially Jeff. And apples are cheap. But, I only have so much time (and definitely less of that this year) and never get around to making more than a few.

I bought a bunch of apples on sale last week, then was surprised by old friends from NY who brought us 1/2 a bushel of baking apples when they visited this weekend. That's a lot of apples. :)

I couldn't let them be wasted, and came up with an idea I can't believe I never thought of before. I peeled, cored and chopped a ton of apples and bagged them with the correct amount for a pie in each bag. Then I filled them, assembly-line style with the other filling ingredients. I then sealed the bags, tossed them to mix, labeled them and put them in the freezer. I now have eight bags of apple pie filling to use whenever - all I have to do is the crust!

YAY!!!

5 comments:

KEI said...

Awesome! Let me know when you bake one and we'll be right over! :-) I love apple pie, too!

Carla said...

Kerry, if you're coming over I'll bake one just for you. Just tell me when. :)

Dan and Alenna said...

GREAT idea! Jessica (Kinsey) and I just went to pick apples this morning and I've got 24 lbs. waiting for me to use. Besides the applesauce I want to make, I'll have to bag up some pie filling now too. Thank you for the awesome idea!!

Alvana said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

You are so clever!!!!!! Luv the idea. Now I just need to learn to cook. Hee!Hee!